I know that it has been quiet here for far too long. Things have been hectic with the holidays and the business startup… Anyway I have something awesome that I can finally openly share!
November 2014, after I destroyed my jeep’s rear ring & pinion at Field & Forest and later discovered how badly my Spartan Lockers were holding up to the punishment ; Cora Jokinen the President of Torq Masters Industries (the company that makes the Aussie Locker) reached out to Sarah and I about testing a new locker design code named “Raptor” that was being developed.
Spartan Lockers are in my experience are the worst. I bought 2 of these during my one ton build. Having had Aussie Lockers and Lock-Right lockers in the past with great success, and being budget build it seemed like a good idea.
The first one wore out after a year of wheeling. It was installed in my front axle and oddest thing is that with the lock out hubs the carrier never spun much. I ended up removing it last winter in favor for a grizzly. Upon inspection it had a lot of chipped teeth on the side gears and cams.
Now 2 years after the original install, I broke the ring gear, I pulled the Spartan locker out of the rear to find this:
The last trip of the year to Field and Forest has traditionally been the major breaking point of the year for the jeep.
Last year I sheared the teeth off in my steering box, forcing me to upgrade to full hydraulic steering. Breaking things are almost a blessing in disguise in my experience. For example then I broke my steering box last year, it allowed me to move onto the next step of the build, which was upgrading the steering and lowering the jeep 4 more inches since the steering gear box would not be in the way any more.
Well I am starting to collect the parts required to build my new Dana 300 transfer case. So far I have collected the D300, a rebuild kit and a set of LOMAX 4:1 gears from JB Conversions. Saying these things are beefy is an understatement. Once I get some side by side pictures you will understand, but meanwhile you can look are the few pictures I have. I am only waiting on my input shaft and adapter from NOVAK, which should be here tomorrow then I can start the build!
So I got a little excited about going on the first shakedown run and I forgot to check clearances at full driver side drop. I actually did check full driver side compression because I thought the drive shaft might hit the engine skid plate crossmember that I made. So I ended up making a spare drive shaft and trimming back 2″ going down the side and in the back.