So I got a little excited about going on the first shakedown run and I forgot to check clearances at full driver side drop. I actually did check full driver side compression because I thought the drive shaft might hit the engine skid plate crossmember that I made. So I ended up making a spare drive shaft and trimming back 2″ going down the side and in the back.
The whole reason why i took the jeep down was to replace all the Ballistic Fab Joints. I was rocking the old design that was prone to failure. At the time that I parked the jeep I had 3 Joints that were bad. I had to warranty 4 other joints before this. Luckily they released a new design that is much stronger.
Since Ricky wanted a different look he decided to get rid of the flat fenders and make life simple and just run a tube along the hood line. This gives the tires more room for up travel since the flat fenders were getting in the way (and it’s sleek look of pure sexyness). The plan is to tie it into the frame.
Like the hoop we used 1 3/4” .120 Wall DOM tubing.
The crumple zone. This area always sees a ton of action so it needed to be reinforced. Along with the tube it’s getting covered by a 1/4” steel plate.
The passenger side was so bad we had to try to pull the dents so there wasn’t a huge gap between the tub and the plate.
Now on to the next project!
So, there has been talk and ideas for a while now about dropping the fenders and start tubing it out. What better place to start than with a grill hoop. We helped pitch in with a few other members of our off road club and bought a tube bender.
Let the fun begin! Within a few hours and quite a bit of cursing it was made!